OUR CADET ROLE
Exciting opportunity for law students to work part-time in a law firm.
This is a paid permanent position (not an internship or clerkship).
Flexibility to work 1 day a week during exam period.
First year students are encouraged to apply.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR
A brilliant organiser.
You love lists. You love processes and systems. And if one does not exist, you create your own and everyone asks “Gee, why didn’t we do that earlier?”
Together we are seeking to make a difference to how estate planning and administration services are delivered. We constantly ask, "How do we make it better? What else can we do, to deliver a better client experience?"
WHAT YOU'LL BE ACHIEVING
1. Conducting estate planning files from beginning to end. No snippets of work. You will help us guide clients from the beginning of their legal question to the end solution. You’ll be looking after clients, drafting basic letters and documents, coordinating meetings and ultimately making sure the clients have a great experience. And that does include some light cleaning duties.
2. Completing our comprehensive training for new team members within a three week period. Applying your newly learned knowledge to our documents and processes to deliver work with high levels of detail.
3. Identifying and creating improvements within our business. No task, system or process is too big or small for improvements. You know we can do better and you will solve the equation so we can unlock our ability to deliver better outcomes for our clients, staff and the firm.
You must be experienced with Word and have a typing speed of at least 58 wpm.
TESTIMONIAL FROM A CADET
Working at YHC Lawyers has given me the opportunity to have hands-on legal experience. For example, I have been afforded the opportunity to have client interactions and draft legal documents.
Shen and Loan also truly take an interest in the career development of the Cadets so the mentoring I have received from them has also been invaluable. I could not have asked for a better experience.
- Jeraldine Mow
Applications open: Monday 10 May 2021
Applications close: 5.00PM Friday 4 June 2021
AVAILABILITY & COMMENCEMENT
This is a part-time role. You choose the frequency of 2 - 3 days a week. During exams 1 day a week or keep your existing frequency.
During summer holidays there are usually additional days of work available if you’re looking for extra work.
The position commences the week after you finish your last Semester 1, 2021 exams.
You need to be able to work in a full-time capacity in your first three weeks in order to complete your training. You are paid during training (it is not a ‘trial’). After training, your regular part-time schedule applies.
To be eligible to apply for this position, you must have an appropriate Australian work visa or be an Australian citizen.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org;
2. In your cover letter you advise of your availability. The options available are: 2 days a week or 3 days a week; and
3. Include your CV, cover letter and copy of academic transcript in PDF format as separate attachments. You can convert Word documents to PDF with most versions of Word. Use Google to find other ideas if you get stuck.
If your application does not meet the above criteria, it will not be considered.
Unofficial academic transcripts will be accepted for applications. Successful candidates will be required to provide official transcripts.
Applications will be read by Shen Chow.
The cover letter is your free kick.
We assume that if you're applying, you're going to be reliable, hard-working and using all the skills you have accumulated; so you don’t have to tell us that.
Use the cover letter as an opportunity to help you stand out from the other applicants. Examples:
1. tell us something that we can't learn from reading your CV;
2. clarify things in your CV; or
3. show your personality, passion for the position, or to narrate your life and work history.